About the review
The Shape of Training Review is looking at potential reforms to the structure of postgraduate medical education and training across the UK.
The review’s aim is to make sure we
- continue to train effective doctors who are fit to practise in the UK
- provide high quality and safe care and
- meet the needs of patients and service now and in the future.
What the review will focus on
Five themes have been identified which the review will focus on.
- Workforce needs – specialists or generalists?
- The breadth and scope of training
- The needs of the health service
- The needs of the patient
- Flexibility of training
The review is the latest step on a journey to ensure UK medical education and training can support and respond to society’s needs in the best possible way.